Is It Time to Turn Yet?

I hate driving downtown because a lot of intersection turns are only permitted after 6Pm. I waste a lot of time just waiting.

Well, not wasted, I kind of think of it as “me” time. If I’m really ahead of schedule, turns out to be a lot of “me” time. Maybe this turn nonsense is just meant to act as a governor.

Still, it gives me a chance to take a break; waiting for the time to past. Just recline back in the driver’s seat; maybe have some coffee, sandwich, read the paper for a bit. On a good day I might even go the wine and cheese route. Like a mini vacation.

But intersections, or at least the ones I visit, sure are loud; but it could just be me, or the horns. Makes it a little more challenging to commune with nature … quite hard to hear the sound of songbirds. Of course if I did, I’d be pretty scared; it would have to be Big Birds GIANT cousin.

I used to think there must be a manufacturing error in a lot of new cars. Something like crossed polarity for the reverse warning signal, wired in to the horn. Now it just seems like a continuous warning that a car is moving FORWARD. That’s seems unnecessary. But I guess if you were standing by a fast moving river, you may not notice a car moving forward … slowly … relative to the river. --Can’t be too safe.

Maybe newer models cars should wire a second horn lead to the driver’s seat cushion. Sort of like an early European form of conditioning therapy.

Meet a lot of people, waiting out the “time to turn”. A lot of people saying, “Hey buddy” and “What are ya doing”. They are talking a little loud of course, which I assume is because of the horn volume. In any case, I smile and nod … just being friendly.

Almost always some friendly police officers will stroll by.. They usually look at me and point upwards. If I got the trajectory right, I think they are pointing at the turn, or rather, no turn sign. I assume, they were involved in making the sign, so I usually comment on its quality; weathered nicely, nice choice of colors, red and while and I always mention that they got the turn arrow pointing the right way. It’s important to mention, as it’s a key feature. Yeah, they done good.

It’s interesting random strangers, even though policemen would want to share their handy work with me; to show pride in their accomplishments. In the end however, they all seem to shrug their shoulders in, what I assume to be, a show of humility, modesty. A little overstated perhaps, as most of these signs seem quite well done … and I looked at a lot of them.

I’ve since moved on to other relaxing endeavours.

Still, on occasion, I run into a few people, in their cars, communing with nature, at intersections. I always stroll by and say loudly … “Hey buddy”; .. “What are ya doing”, … as that seems to be the accepted custom. They just smile and nod. I can understand that. Enjoy your “me” time.

No comments: